- to provide services to you or your school,
- to deliver and improve the platform,
- to display relevant content, products and services on the platform or the websites, and
1. What is a Cookie?
A cookie is a small text file that is sent to and stored on your computer or on your mobile device from our servers. When you communicate with the platform or access our websites, your computer sends that text file to us. This file, along with the records of your previous activity that we have in our records, allows us to respond to you in an appropriate way.
Cookies are widely used in order to make websites or mobile applications work effectively. For example, they can be used to remember your user preferences or what has been previously sent to you. They can also help remember you so you don’t have to enter a password as frequently to access the platform. Taken alone, cookies do not personally identify you – rather, they merely recognize your specific web browser. Unless you choose to identify yourself to SmarterServices, e.g., by signing up to receive a service, filling out a web form, or previously identifying yourself to us, you remain anonymous.
2. What Cookies Do We Use?
We use different types of cookies on our platform to make your interaction with our platform and our websites easy and meaningful – strictly necessary cookies, functionality cookies, and analytics cookies. Many cookies are used only when you use one of our services. The platform may include first-party cookies (i.e., cookies that send data directly to SmarterServices and agents and contractors acting on our behalf , including cookies used to monitor, analyze, and administer the platform) and third-party cookies (i.e., cookies that send data to our contractors for their use in connection with their services to us).
Below is a list of the different types of cookies we may use on the platform or our websites and our purpose for using them. You may opt out and limit which cookies apply to your use of our platform or our website by changing your browser’s cookie settings. However, your eliminating or limiting the use of certain of our cookies will prevent us from providing certain services to you and to your school, such as our ability to administer and proctor tests that you are to take for classes at your school or evaluation-type tests to determine your readiness to take, or teach, a particular course at the school.
A. Strictly Necessary Cookies.
Strictly necessary cookies are essential to the operation of the platform and the websites. They are used to facilitate our log-in process, authenticate users, and enable you to navigate the websites or mobile application and to use its features. They are also used by our customer service team for in-product messaging and analytics. Without these cookies, we may not be able to provide certain services or features, and the websites or mobile applications will not perform as smoothly for you as we would like.
Because strictly necessary cookies are essential to operate the platform, there is no option to opt out of these cookies.
B. Functionality Cookies.
In some circumstances, we may use functionality cookies. Functionality cookies allow us to remember the choices you make while interacting with the platform or browsing the websites, and to provide enhanced and more personalized content and features, such as customizing a certain webpage or application page, providing you with test questions or other information, recording your answers to test questions, remembering if we have provided you with certain information, and for other services you request. In order to permit your connection to the platform, our servers receive and record information about your computer and browser, potentially including your IP address, browser type, and other software or hardware information. These features allow us to provide our services, as well as help us to improve your visit and assist in navigation of the platform or websites.
C. Analytics Cookies.
We and our service providers may use analytics cookies, which are sometimes called performance cookies, to collect information about your use of the platform and our websites and enable us to improve the way it works. Analytics cookies collect information about how you use the platform, for instance, which pages you go to most. The information allows us to see the overall patterns of usage and helps us record any difficulties users may have while using the platform or websites.
D. Advertising Cookies.
3. Third Party Cookies on the platform.
- Google Analytics – Google offers web analytics which are used by SmarterServices to track pages visited and emails. For more information on Google’s privacy practices, please visit https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245.
- Twilio – Twilio is used by SmarterServices to augment methods communication to our end users. For more information on Twilio’s cookie practices, please visit https://www.twilio.com/legal/privacy/cookies.
- Stripe – Stripe is used by SmarterServices to process credit card payments For more information on Stripe’s cookie practices, please visit https://stripe.com/cookies-policy/legal.
- Headway – We use headway as a method to communicate product updates to our users. For more information on Headway’s privacy practices, please visit https://headwayapp.co/privacy
- Hund – We use Hund to notify the status of our services to our customers within our applications. For more information on Hund’s privacy practices, please visit https://hund.io/legal/privacy.
- Amazon Web Services – We use Amazon Web Services to host our web application infrastructure. For more information on Amazon Web Services privacy practices, please visit https://aws.amazon.com/privacy/.
- LaunchDarkly – We use LaunchDarkly to manage what features are enabled/disabled for customers. For more information on LaunchDarkly’s privacy practices, please visit https://launchdarkly.com/policies/privacy/.
- LogRocket – We use LogRocket to help locate and repair issues within our system. For more information on LogRocket’s privacy practices, please visit https://logrocket.com/privacy/.
You can also learn more about controlling cookies in Section 4 below.
4. How You Can Control Cookies on Our platform and Websites.
If you want to control the cookies that are placed on your computer or other device, you could view cookies stored on your hard drive, choose whether or not to permit cookies to be set by default by changing browser settings as provided in this Section, or delete the cookies stored on your hard drive.
Please be aware, however, that your decision to control cookies may affect your experience of our platform and websites – you may not be able to access all or parts of those sites or receive services from us. Turning cookies off, for instance, will prevent you from registering for, signing-in to receive, and using many of the services on our platform.
Most modern Web browser software allows you to change your cookie settings directly. These settings will typically be found in the ‘options’ or ‘preferences’ menu of your browser. In order to understand these settings, the following links may be helpful; otherwise you should use the ‘Help’ option in your browser for more details.
- Chrome – https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py
- Internet Explorer – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Safari – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265
- Firefox – https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Cookies
For information on how to use the browser of your mobile phone to amend cookie settings, you will need to refer to your mobile phone’s manual.
The following third party links contain additional information about cookies and other helpful information on your ability to control what cookies apply to you. Please note, however, that these links will take you to third party sites over which SmarterServices has no control.
- www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/index.html offers information on how to amend the settings of a wide variety of browsers, details on how to delete cookies from your computer, and more general information about cookies
- www.aboutcookies.org offers information on how to amend the settings of a wide variety of browsers, details on how to delete cookies from your computer, and more general information about cookies
- www.youronlinechoices.com/uk offers information about third party cookies generated by advertisers and how you can turn these off by going to the Internet Advertising Bureau’s (IAB) consumer site
- www.networkadvertising.org offers a listing of opt-outs for advertising platforms. Note that there are many more networks listed on this site than those used by us at SmarterServices
5. ‘Do Not Track’ Signals.
Some Web browsers may be configured to send Do Not Track signals to websites, or users may use similar mechanisms, to indicate a user’s preference that certain web technologies not be used to track the user’s online activity. The platform and our websites do not accept or process such Do Not Track signals or similar mechanisms.